- Last chance to register for our LEAD program this Spring – Sign up for our upcoming Info Session here.
New Women New Yorkers is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to empowering young women immigrants in New York City.
Through our programs we provide them with the knowledge, skills, and support they need to recognize and develop their potential, pursue better educational and professional opportunities, and become role-models and agents of change in and for their communities.
Our target community
- Focus on underserved communities
Our focus is on serving recent women immigrants, first-generation high school and college students, refugees and asylum seekers, and immigrant mothers with young children, regardless of legal status.
- Specific age range: 16-35 years old
The 16-35 age range is a key period in the life of any woman, a time of significant identity development and decision-making, both in the personal and family realms, as well as with regard to educational and professional advancement. There are gaps in providing services to women immigrants in this age range, particularly for mothers.
- We are a cross-community organization
We work with young women immigrants coming from all national, ethnic, and religious backgrounds. Cross-community projects and activities help reduce inter-group prejudice and promote community relations. Also, because the young women immigrants who participate in our programs do not share the same native language, this stimulates the use of English to communicate, while making it less intimidating. Although New Women New Yorkers does not offer ESL classes, it incorporates the English language component in all projects and activities in an innovative and effective way.
Our key goals
- Empower young women immigrants to recognize and develop their potential, and pursue better educational and professional opportunities
- Through grassroots, transformative leadership, empower young women immigrants to become role-models and mentors for other young women immigrants, and agents of change in and for their communities
- Provide young women immigrants with a safe space and support network
- Provide young women immigrants with a platform to tell their stories and express their voice, so as to inform and raise public awareness, and promote a more positive discourse about immigrants in general, and women immigrants in particular